Molasses cookies are my very favorite cookie. The recipe has to be just right, though; chewy in the middle, crisp on the edges and the top has to be split - kind of crinkly. This recipe is a winner! I need to find a way to make it more health conscious but for goodness sakes! It's a cookie! Some things are best left alone and enjoyed just as they are.
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt (I use 1/4 teaspoon)
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the sugar, shortening and butter until light and fluffy*. Add the molasses and egg, and mix to combine.
- Add flour, baking soda, spices, vanilla and salt. With the mixer set to low speed, add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture, and mix until combined. Chill the dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion the dough, and then roll the portions into balls. Then roll in sugar and place on the prepared baking sheet.**
- Bake for 5 minutes, turn the pans around. Bake for another 2-5 minutes depending on your oven. My oven runs really hot towards the back and I like my cookies really chewy so I do 5 minutes, 2-1/2 minutes. Your mileage may vary.
*Note that I highlighted the word cream in #1. It's worth it to take the time to cream the butter, shortening and sugar. Don't skimp.
** I had an epiphany while making these cookies tonight. In the past, I've always put sugar in a bowl and rolled the dough in the sugar. I always made a big mess and got all sugary. It annoyed me to no end to the point where I rarely make cookies that I have to roll in sugar. Well, I decided to put sugar in a small baggie and add 3 pieces of dough to the bag and shake. It worked super slick and took less sugar with no mess!! I am never going back to the old way.
NUTRITION: BASED ON 39 SERVINGS
83 calories, 4g total fat, 8mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 35mg potassium, 11g carbs, 1g protein